> Hmm ... I wonder whether this means that the current work on
> parallelizing I/O (the posix_fadvise patch in particular) is a dead
> end.  Because what that is basically going to do is expend more CPU
> to improve I/O efficiency.  If you believe this thesis then that's
> not the road we want to go down.

I don't believe the thesis.  The gap between disk speeds and memory
speeds may narrow over time, but I doubt it's likely to disappear
altogether any time soon, and certainly not for all users.

Besides which, I believe the CPU overhead of that patch is pretty darn
small when the feature is not enabled.

...Robert