Greg Smith wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2009, Robert Schnabel wrote:
A word of warning for anyone out there considering the Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives (ST31500341AS)...I'm going through a fiasco right now with these drives and I wish I had purchased more when I did.
I don't think you came to the right conclusion for how to avoid this pain in the future though--buying more garbage drives isn't really satisfying.
No, the original drives I have work fine. The problem, as you point out, is that Seagate changed the firmware and made it so that you cannot flash it to a different version.

What you should realize is to never assemble a production server using newly designed drives.
I totally agree. I'm using these drives for an off-site backup of a backup. There is no original data on these. I needed the capacity. I was willing to accept the performance/reliability hit considering the $$/TB.

Bob