On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Chris St Denis wrote:

Is tsvector_update_trigger() smart enough to not bother updating a tsvector if the text in that column has not changed?

no, you should do check yourself. There are several examples in mailing lists.

If not, can I make my own update trigger with something like

  if new.description != old.description
      return tsvector_update_trigger('fti_all', 'pg_catalog.english',
  'title', 'keywords', 'description');
  else
      return new;

or do I need to do it from scratch?

I'm seeing very high cpu load on my database server and my current theory is that some of the triggers may be causing it.

        Regards,
                Oleg