Developer wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to optimize the count of files when I am using filters
(select by some row/s parameter/s)

In this case I think that postgresql really count all files.
Resulting in unacceptable times of 4 seconds in http server response.
Triggers+store in this case do not see very acceptable, because I need
store 1.5 millions of counting possibilities.

My question is:
Any method for indirect count like ordered indexes + quadratic count?
Any module?
Any suggestion?

I had a similar problem where HTTP requests triggered a count(*) over a table that was growing rapidly. The bigger the table got, the longer the count took. In my case, however, the counts only have to be a reasonable estimate of the current state, so I solved this problem with a count_sums table that gets updated every 30 minutes using a simple perl script in a cron job. The HTTP requests now trigger a very fast select from a tiny, 9 row, 2 column table.

How "up to date" do the counts need to be? If the count takes 4 seconds, can you run it every minute and store the counts in a table for retrieval by the HTTP requests? Or does it absolutely have to be the exact count at the moment of the request?

If it needs to be more real-time, you could expand on this by adding post insert/delete triggers that automatically update the counts table to keep it current. In my case it just wasn't necessary.

        - Chris