On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Rauan Maemirov wrote:

maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
work_mem = 192MB
shared_buffers = 7680MB
max_connections = 80
My box is Nehalem 2xQuad 2.8 with RAM 32Gb

While it looks like you sorted out your issue downthread, I wanted to point out that your setting for work_mem could be dangerously high here and contribute to problems with running out memory or using swap. If each of your 80 clients was doing a sort at the same time, you'd be using 80 * 192MB + 7680MB = 15360GB of RAM just for the server. The problem is that each client could do multiple sorts, so usage might even got higher. Unless you have a big data warehouse setup, more common work_mem settings are in the 16-64MB range rather than going this high. Just something to keep an eye on if you find a lot of memory is being used by the database processes. I really need to refine the pgtune model to more carefully account for this particular problem, it's a bit too aggressive here for people who aren't proactively watching the server's RAM after changing the settings.

--
* Greg Smith gsm...@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD