This seems like a pretty major weakness in PostgreSQL partitioning. I have essentially settled on not being able to do queries against the parent table when I want to order the results. Going to have to use a Hibernate interceptor or something similar to rewrite the statements so they hit specific partitions, will be working on this in the coming week.

This weakness is a bummer though as it makes partitions a lot less useful. Having to hit specific child tables by name isn't much different than just creating separate tables and not using partitions at all.

Michal Szymanski wrote:
I've described our problem here
http://groups.google.pl/group/pgsql.performance/browse_thread/thread/54a7419381bd1565?hl=pl#
  Michal Szymanski