On 12/24/2009 10:51 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
7. If you have 3 equal disks, try doing some experiments. My inclination
would be to set them all up with ext4...

I have yet to yet a single positive thing about using ext4 for PostgreSQL. Stick with ext3, where the problems you might run into are at least well understood and performance is predictable.

Hi Greg:

Can you be more specific? I am using ext4 without problems than I have discerned - but mostly for smaller databases (~10 databases, one almost about 1 Gbyte, most under 500 Mbytes).

Is it the delayed allocation feature that is of concern? I believe this feature is in common with other file systems such as XFS, and provided that the caller is doing things "properly" according to POSIX and/or the file system authors understanding of POSIX, which includes fsync()/fdatasync()/O_DIRECT (which PostgreSQL does?), everything is fine?

File systems failures have been pretty rare for me lately, so it's hard to say for sure whether my setup is really running well until it does fail one day and I find out. (Not too concerned, though, as I keep off site pg_dump backups of the database on a regular schedule - the databases are small enough to afford this :-) )

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke<m...@mielke.cc>