Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
Guys, I want to thank you for all of the advice - my client has just made a surprise announcement that he would like to set start from scratch with a new server, so I am afraid that all of this great advice has to be seen in the context of whatever decision is made on that. I am out there, hat-in-hand, looking for advice under the PERFORM post: "New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice?"

You might start this as a new topic with a relevant title, and reiterate your
database requirements.  Otherwise it will get submerged as just a footnote to
your original question.  It's really nice to be able to quickly find the
new-equipment discussions.

Craig