Scott Marlowe writes:

Have you tried short stroking the drives to see how they compare then?
 Or is the reduced primary storage not a valid path here?

No, have not tried it. By the time I got the machine we needed it in production so could not test anything.

When the 2 new machines come I should hopefully have time to try a few strategies, including RAID0, to see what is the best setup for our needs.
RAID-10 of those to read at somewhere in or just past the gig per
second range with a fast pcie (x8 or x16 or so) controller.

Thanks for the info. Contacted the vendor to see what pcie speed is the controller connected to, specially since we are considering getting 2 more machines from them.

drives equals the 24 10k drives you're looking at now.  I can write at
about 300 to 350 Megs a second on a slower Areca 12xx series
controller and 8 2TB Western Digital Green drives, which aren't even

How about read spead?