As others have already pointed out, your disk performance here is completely typical of a single pair of drives doing random read/write activity. So the question you should be asking is how to reduce the amount of reading and writing needed to run your application. The suggestions at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server address that. Increases to shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments in particular can dramatically reduce the amount of I/O needed to run an application. On the last server I turned, random reads went from a constant stream of 1MB/s (with default value of shared_buffers at 32MB) to an average of 0.1MB/s just by adjusting those two parameters upwards via those guidelines.

If you haven't already made large increases to those values, I'd suggest starting there before presuming you must get a different disk setup.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us