Excerpts from Merlin Moncure's message of sáb jul 03 18:53:46 -0400 2010:

> What about my suggestion doesn't work for your requirements?  (btw,
> let me disagree with my peers and state pl/perl is lousy for this type
> of job, only sql/and pl/sql can interact with postgresql variables
> natively for the most part).

IIRC the other reason pl/perl sucks for this kind of thing is that it
forces a subtransaction to be created before the function call, which is
expensive.  (I might be misremembering and what actually causes a
subtransaction is a SPI call inside a PL/Perl function, which wouldn't
apply here.)