Tobias Brox wrote:
I thought so, we have a logging script that logs the content of
the pg_locks table, it didn't log anything interesting but it may be a
problem with the script itself.  It does an inner join on
pg_locks.relation = pg_class.oid but when I check now this join seems
to remove most of the rows in the pg_locks table.

Some of the waits you might be running into will be things waiting on another transaction holding a lock to finish, which are probably wiped out by this approach. There are some useful examples of lock views on the wiki:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_Monitoring
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Lock_dependency_information
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Find_Locks

And the idea you have of coverting the pg_class one to an outer join will help.

The other thing you should try is toggling on log_lock_waits and possibly reducing deadlock_timeout. This will put a lot of the information you're trying to collect right into the logs.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US g...@2ndquadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us