On 10-09-24 01:41 PM, Tobias Brox wrote:
What do you mean, that you could run regular vacuum less frequently,
or that the regular vacuum would go faster?

It means that vacuums ran less frequently. With cron triggered vacuums, we estimated when tables needed to be vacuumed, and vacuumed them accordingly. Because of unpredictable shifts in activity, we scheduled the vacuums to happen more often than needed.

With autovacuum, we vacuum some of our large tables far less frequently. We have a few large tables that used to get vacuumed every other day that now get vacuumed once or twice a month.

The vacuums themselves take longer now as we use the vacuum cost delay to control the IO. That wasn't an option for us when we did manual vacuums as that was in 8.1 when vacuums were still treated as long running transactions. Stretching a vacuum out to a few hours prior to 8.2 would bloat other tables.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106