Marti Raudsepp wrote:
I will grant you that the details were wrong, but I stand by the conclusion.
I can state for a fact that PostgreSQL's default wal_sync_method
varies depending on the <fcntl.h> header.

Yes; it's supposed to, and that logic works fine on some other platforms. The question is exactly what the new Linux O_DSYNC behavior is doing, in regards to whether it flushes drive caches out or not. Until you've quantified which of the cases do that--which is required for reliable operation of PostgreSQL--and which don't, you don't have any data that can be used to draw a conclusion from. If some setups are faster because they write less reliably, that doesn't automatically make them the better choice.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us