Tom Lane wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, that's a DB2-ish locution

It could also be a part of the Oracle vernacular. I've seen queries like that running against Oracle RDBMS, too.

for a query with DISTINCT
ON, ie, you're looking for the row with highest _revision_created for
each value of id.  It might perform well on DB2, but it's going to
mostly suck on Postgres --- we don't optimize window-function queries
very much at all at the moment.
Hmmm, what optimizations do you have in mind? I thought that window functions are just clever tricks with memory? Anything that can be expected for 9.0x?

Try writing it with DISTINCT ON instead
of a window function, like so:
Wouldn't "distinct" necessarily bring about the sort/merge?

--

Mladen Gogala Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway