Mladen Gogala schrieb:

Well, the problem will not go away. As I've said before, all other databases have that feature and none of the reasons listed here convinced me that everybody else has a crappy optimizer. The problem may go away altogether if people stop using PostgreSQL.

A common problem of programmers is, that they want a solution they already know for a problem they already know, even if it is the worst solution the can choose.

There are so many possibilities to solve a given problem and you even have time to do this before your application get released.

Also: if you rely so heavily on hints, then use a database which supports hints. A basic mantra in every training i have given is: use the tool/technic/persons which fits best for the needs of the project. There are many databases out there - choose for every project the one, which fits best!

Greetings from Germany,
Torsten
--
http://www.dddbl.de - ein Datenbank-Layer, der die Arbeit mit 8 verschiedenen Datenbanksystemen abstrahiert, Queries von Applikationen trennt und automatisch die Query-Ergebnisse auswerten kann.