Had to say a quick thanks to Greg and the others who have posted detailed test results on SSDs here. For those of us watching for the inflection point where we can begin the transition from mechanical to solid state storage, this data and experience is invaluable. Thanks for sharing it.

A short story while I'm posting : my Dad taught electronics engineering and would often visit the local factories with groups of students. I remember in particular after a visit to a disk drive manufacturer (Burroughs), in 1977 he came home telling me that he'd asked the plant manager what their plan was once solid state storage made their products obsolete. The manager looked at him like he was form another planet...

So I've been waiting patiently 34 years for this hopefully soon-to-arrive moment ;)