News update for anyone else who's trapped like me, waiting for a fix to the Intel 320 SSD bug where they can truncate themselves to 8MB. Over the weekend Intel has announced a firmware fix for the problem is done, and is due to ship "within the next two weeks": http://communities.intel.com/thread/24121

On the larger SSD reliability front, Tom's Hardware surveyed heavy SSD users they're friendly with who use Intel drives. The most interesting data came from Softlayer: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-6.html

This supports two claims I made before based on my private data that were controversial:

-Annualized SSD failure rates are not significantly lower than traditional drives in the first couple of years. Jury is still out on whether they will spike upwards starting at 3 years as mechanical ones do.

-The most common source of dead drives is sudden, catastrophic electronics failure. These are not predicted by SMART, and have nothing to do with hitting the drive's wear limits.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD