Resurrecting this long-dormant thread...

On Oct 14, 2011, at 6:41 AM, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:

> On 14-10-2011 10:23, CSS wrote:
>> -I'm calling our combined databases at 133GB "small", fair
>> assumption?  -Is there any chance that a server with dual quad core
>> xeons, 32GB RAM, and 2 or 4 SSDs (assume mirrored) could be slower
>> than the 4 old servers described above?  I'm beating those on raw
>> cpu, quadrupling the amount of RAM (and consolidating said RAM),
>> and going from disks that top out at 4x300 IOPS with SSDs that
>> conservatively should provide 2000 IOPS.
>
> Whether 133GB is small or not probably mostly depends on how much of it is
> actually touched during use. But I'd agree that it isn't a terribly large
> database, I'd guess a few simple SSDs would be plenty to achieve 2000 IOPs.
> For lineair writes, they're still not really faster than normal disks, but if
> that's combined with random access (either read or write) you ought to be ok.
> We went from 15x 15k sas-disks to 6x ssd several years back in our MySQL-box,
> but since we also increased the ram from 16GB to 72GB, the io-load dropped so
> much the ssd's are normally only lightly loaded...

Thanks for your input on this.  It's taken some time, but I do finally have
some hardware on hand  (http://imgur.com/LEC5I) and as more trickles in over
the coming days, I'll be putting together our first SSD-based postgres box.  I
have much testing to do, and I'm going to have some questions regarding that
subject in another thread.

> Btw, the 5500 and 5600 Xeons are normally more efficient with a multiple of 6
> ram-modules, so you may want to have a look at 24GB (6x4), 36GB (6x4+6x2) or
> 48GB (12x4 or 6x8) RAM.

Thanks - I really had a hard time wrapping my head around the rules on
populating the banks.  If I understand it correctly, this is due to the memory
controller moving from the south(?)bridge to being integrated in the CPU.

> Given the historical questions on the list, there is always a risk of getting
> slower queries with hardware that should be much faster. For instance, the
> huge increase in RAM may trigger a less efficient query-plan. Or the disks
> abide by the flush-policies more correctly.
> Assuming the queries are still getting good plans and there are no such
> special differences, I'd agree with the assumption that its a win on every
> count.
> Or your update to a newer OS and PostgreSQL may trigger some worse query plan
> or hardware-usage.

That's an interesting point, I'd not even considered that.  Is there any sort
of simple documentation on the query planner that might cover how things like
increased RAM could impact how a query is executed?

>> -Should I even be looking at the option of ZFS on SATA or low-end
>> SAS drives and ZIL and L2ARC on SSDs?  Initially this intrigued me,
>> but I can't quite get my head around how the SSD-based ZIL can deal
>> with flushing the metadata out when the whole system is under any
>> sort of extreme write-heavy load - I mean if the ZIL is absorbing
>> 2000 IOPS of metadata writes, at some point it has to get full as
>> it's trying to flush this data to much slower spinning drives.
>
> A fail-safe set-up with SSD's in ZFS assumes at least 3 in total, i.e. a pair
> of SSD's for ZIL and as many as you want for L2ARC. Given your database size,
> 4x160GB SSD (in "raid10") or 2x 300GB should yield plenty of space. So given
> the same choice, I wouldn't bother with a set of large capacity sata disks
> and ZIL/L2ARC-SSD's, I'd just go with 4x160GB or 2x300GB SSD's.

Well, I've bought 4x160GB, so that's what I'll use.  I will still do some tests
with two SATA drives plus ZIL, just to see what happens.

>> -Should my standby box be the same configuration or should I look
>> at actual spinning disks on that?  How rough is replication on the
>> underlying storage?  Would the total data written on the slave be
>> less or equal to the master?
>
> How bad is it for you if the performance of your database potentially drops a
> fair bit when your slave becomes the master? If you have a read-mostly
> database, you may not even need SSD's in your master-db (given your amount of
> RAM). But honestly, I don't know the answer to this question :)

It's complicated - during the day we're mostly looking at very scattered reads
and writes, probably a bit biased towards writes.  But each evening we kick off
a number of jobs to pre-generate stats for more complex queries...  If the job
could still complete in 6-8 hours, we'd probably be OK, but if it starts
clogging up our normal queries during the day, that would be a problem.

Thanks again for your input!

Charles