This was answered on the list last time you asked it. You are exceeding a
maximum buffer size. There was an implication that it was related to
converting a string from one encoding to another that could maybe be
alleviated by using the same encoding in both client and server, but a more
reliable solution is probably breaking your sql file into smaller pieces
(or, perhaps even better would be bulk-loading the data via COPY, assuming
that isn't subject to the same buffer size limitation ). I suppose you
could investigate recompiling postgresql with a larger buffer, though that
is likely to have side effects that i certainly can't predict.