On 2/26/13 4:45 PM, Costin Oproiu wrote:
First, I've got no good explanation for this and it would be nice to
have one. As far as I can understand this issue, the heaviest update
traffic should be on the branches table and should affect all tests.

From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgbench.html :

"For the default TPC-B-like test scenario, the initialization scale factor (-s) should be at least as large as the largest number of clients you intend to test (-c); else you'll mostly be measuring update contention. There are only -s rows in the pgbench_branches table, and every transaction wants to update one of them, so -c values in excess of -s will undoubtedly result in lots of transactions blocked waiting for other transactions."

I normally see peak TPS at a scale of around 100 on current generation hardware, stuff in the 4 to 24 core range. Nowadays there really is no reason to consider running pgbench on a system with a smaller scale than that. I normally get a rough idea of things by running with scales 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD