On 11/04/13 22:09, Thiyagarajan, Palaniappan wrote:
All,

We have performance issue in Psql8.3 vacuum run.  The CPU usage going
300+ and application getting slow.  How do we avoid high cpu and
smooth vacuum tables.

I'm afraid this isn't nearly enough information for anyone to help.

1. Full version details, some idea of hardware and database size might be useful. Exactly when this happens etc.

2. Is this a manual vacuum or autovacuum?

3. Are you familiar with the manual page regarding the vacuum settings?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

4. If so, what changes have you made?

5. You are aware that 8.3 is end-of-life? And you are running 8.3.23 until you upgrade, aren't you?
http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Typically you'd expect disk i/o to be the limiting factor with vacuum rather than CPU. However, it might just be that I've misunderstood your description. More details please.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd