Index creation on large tables are mostly CPU bound as long as no swap occurs.
I/O may be an issue when all your indexes are similar; e.g. all on single int4
columns.
in other cases the writes will not all take place concurrently.
To reduce I/O due to swap, you can consider increasing maintenance_work_mem on
the connextions/sessionns
that build the indexes.

regards,

Marc Mamin