Its been a while since I really worked with Postgres, but could you write a
trigger to convert empty string to null on save?  You'd have to carefully
apply it everywhere but it'd get you the searching for null finds empty. If
that is all you do the you've got it.

Essentially, there isn't a switch for it but you can do it with some
mechanisms.

Nik