On 03/15/2015 09:43 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

* Consider installing perf (linux-utils-$something) and doing a
   systemwide profile.

3.2 isn't the greatest kernel around, efficiency wise. At some point you
might want to upgrade to something newer. I've seen remarkable
differences around this.

Not at some point, now. 3.2 - 3.8 are undeniably broken for PostgreSQL.

That is an understatement. Here's a nice article on why it's borked:

http://www.databasesoup.com/2014/09/why-you-need-to-avoid-linux-kernel-32.html

Had a 32 core machine with big RAID BBU and 512GB memory that was
dying using 3.2 kernel. went to 3.11 and it went from a load of 20 to
40 to a load of 5.

Yep, I can confirm this behavior.

You really should upgrade postgres to a newer major version one of these
days. Especially 9.2. can give you a remarkable improvement in
performance with many connections in a read mostly workload.

Seconded.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc

Now I get it: your service is designed for a customer
base that grew up with Facebook, watches Japanese seizure
robot anime, and has the attention span of a gnat.
I'm not that user., "Tyler Riddle"