Hi,

I have a table with irregular distribution based in a foreign key, like you
can see in the end of the e-mail.

Sometimes, in simples joins with another tables with the same id_camada
(but not the table owner of the foreign key, the planner chooses a seq scan
instead of use the index with id_camada.
If I do the join using also de table owner of the foreign key, then the
index is used.

In the first case, querys with seq scan tahe about 30 seconds and with the
index take about 40 ms.

When I increase the statistics of the column id_camada to 900, then
everything works using the index in both cases.
My doubt is: there is a way to discovery the best statistics number for
this column or is a process of trial and error?

id_camada;count(*)
123;10056782
83;311471
42;11316