Some of you may have had annoying problems in the past with autofreeze or
autovacuum running at unexpected moments and dropping the performance of your
server randomly.

On our SSD-RAID10 based system we found a 20GB table finished it's vacuum
freeze in about 100 seconds. There were no noticeable interruptions to our
services; maybe a tiny little bit of extra latency on the web maps, very hard
to tell if it was real or imagination.

If auto-stuff in postgresql has been a pain point for you in the past, I can
confirm that SSD drives are a nice solution (and also for any other
autovacuum/analyze type stuff) since they can handle incoming random IO very
nicely while also making very fast progress with the housekeeping work.

Graeme Bell