Unfortunately it's not possible to move flag left in this scenario.

As you say it's an issue that would not really exist in normal SQL access. The
main issue is the way it's required for ordering; The index in question is used
 by a legacy language that accesses records sequentially as if they were direct
from isam files it used historically via a driver.  In some cases it steps
through records on a particular show+type until a flag changes and carries on
unless particular values are seen.

If I create the index show+best+block+row+seat then the planner appears to
favour that, and all is well.  Despite the startup cost estimate being the
same, and total cost being 0.01 higher.  This is something I fail to understand
fully.

Tom stated the index choice is due to a selectivity underestimate.  I think
this may be because there is actually a correlation between "best"+"block" and
"type", but from Toms reply my understanding was that total selectivity for the
query is calculated as the product of the individual selectivities in the where
clause. Are particular equality clauses ever excluded from the calculation as a
result of available indexes or otherwise?  Or is it just likely that the
selection of the new index is just by chance?

Either way I my understanding here is definitely lacking.