On 1/7/16 1:47 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2016-01-07 13:34:51 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
It's fairly well established that the implementation of transparent
huge pages in Linux kernels from the 2.6-or-so era sucks, and you're
best off turning it off if you care about consistency of performance.

I think the feature wasn't introduced in original 2.6 kernels (3.2 or
so?), but red hat had backported it to their 2.6.32 kernel.

I am not sure whether modern kernels have improved this area.

I think the problem has largely been solved around 3.16. Around 4.1 I
could still  reproduce problems, but the regressions were only in the
sub 10% range in my test workload.

BTW, looks like Scott blogged about this along with some nice graphs: https://sdwr98.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/transparent-huge-pages-or-why-dbas-are-great/