Il 02/03/2016 19:40, Alvaro Herrera ha scritto:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Moreno Andreo <moreno.and...@evolu-s.it> wrote:
... or maybe add some more RAM to have more disk caching (if you're on
*nix).... this worked for me in the past... even if IMHO it's more a
temporary "patch" while upgrading (if it can't be done in a hurry) than a
real solution...
Oh yeah, definitely worth looking at. But RAM can't speed up writes,
just reads, so it's very workload dependent. If you're IO subsystem is
maxing out on writes, faster drives / IO. If it's maxing out on reads,
more memory. But if your dataset is much bigger than memory (say 64GB
RAM and a 1TB data store) then more RAM isn't going to be the answer.
In the particular case of autovacuum, it may be helpful to create a
"ramdisk" and put the stats temp file in it.

Definitely. I my new server (as I've been taught here :-) ) I'm going to put stats in a ramdisk and pg_xlog in another partition.