Hi.

AWS EBS its a really painful story....
How was created volumes for RAID? From snapshots?
If you want to get the best performance from EBS it needs to pre-warmed.

Here is the tutorial how to achieve that:
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ebs-initialize.html

Also you should read this one if you want to get really great for
performance:
http://hatim.eu/2014/05/24/leveraging-ssd-ephemeral-disks-in-ec2-part-1/

Good luck!