Lars Aksel Opsahl <lars.ops...@nibio.no> writes:
> In this example I have two tables one with 4 billion rows and another with
> 50000 rows and then I try to do a standard simple join between this two
> tables and this takes 397391  ms. with this SQL (the query plan is added is
> further down)

This particular query would work a lot better if you had an index on
nora_bc25_observation (point_uid_ref, epoch), ie both join columns
in one index.  I get the impression that that ought to be the primary
key of the table, which would be an even stronger reason to have a
unique index on it.

                        regards, tom lane