I've recently been blessed to move one of my databases onto a huge IBM P8
computer.   Its a power PC architecture with 20 8-way cores (so postgres SHOULD
believe there are 160 cores available) and 1 TB of RAM.

I've always done my postgres tuning with a copy of "pgtune" which says in the
output:

# WARNING
# this tool not being optimal
# for very high memory systems

So . . . what would I want to do differently based on the fact that I have a
"very high memory system"?

Suggestions welcome!

(There are several different databases, mostly related to our work in social
media and malware analytics.   The databases are smaller than available RAM.
Around 80 million social media profiles with 700M or so links, growing by 10% a
week or so.  The malware database has extracted statistics and data about 17
million malware samples, growing by about 5% per week.   The Social Media side
has just shy of 100 'fetchers' that insert/update (but don't delete.)   A few
human analysts interact with the data, hitting some pretty heavy queries as
they do link analysis and natural language processing, but mostly the database
use is the "fetchers")

Gary Warner, Director CETIFS      g...@uab.edu
Center for Emerging Technology Investigations Forensics & Security
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
205.422.2113