Anthony Molinaro wrote:
> Daryl,
>

>>Whether you feel that is unnecessary or not, it *is* the ANSI Standard
>

>>and is thus, by definition, "how queries should be written."
>

> I disagree 100%.  Oracle and db2 introduced window functions years
> before
> Ansi added them. Should we not have used them? It absurd to avoid using
> a feature cuz it's not ansi.

Of course it would be absurd, I have not suggested otherwise. Joins are not a *new* feature.

> Honestly, Don't be a slave to ansi, you miss out on all the great
> vendor specific functionality *that you're already paying for*
>

>>it was added to make the *intention* of the query clearer.
>

> More clearer to whom?
>
> Certainly not developers who have been working for many years
> using the old syntax.
>
> The intention of the old syntax is perfect. Realize that the problem is
> not the old syntax, the problem is the watered down database field
> today.
> I see this more and more with each interview I conduct looking
> for dba's and developers.

I generally agree with your assessment of the state of database knowledge (particularly re developers). It is, however, the reality we live in.

[snipped nostalgia and back-patting]

> I've never worked in a place that used ANSI only syntax and I've never
> had a problem with clarity nor any developers I've worked with.
> So, I don't at all get what you're saying...

> Old style is short and sweet and perfect.
> Ansi dumbed it down, that's the bottom line.
> And for people who've been developing for sometime,
> It's wholly unnecessary.

Well, perhaps you will one day and a developer will hose your server with a "accidental" cross join and then you will understand.

But hopefully not.  ;)

> Regards,
>   Anthony

[rest snipped]

--
Daryl
Director of Technology

((         Brandywine Asset Management          )
 ( "Expanding the Science of Global Investing"  )
 (          http://www.brandywine.com           ))

      match