Hi,

(I posted this to the list on 10/25 but it didn't seem to get distributed - apologies if it did and I'm actually double posting right now..)

I've read on this list about some pretty powerful examples of using expressions in order by clauses to sort according to very complex rules. I kind of half "get it" and was playing around with it today to learn more. I'm hoping for one or two additional pointers from the resident experts..

Take this sample:

--sql start
drop table if exists test_order;
create temp table test_order
(
 id serial,
 email varchar(255)
);
insert into test_order (email)
values ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');
insert into test_order (email)
values ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');
insert into test_order (email)
values ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');
insert into test_order (email)
values ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');
insert into test_order (email)
values ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]');

select * from test_order
order by id <> 3, email
--sql end

Putting the expression "id <> 3" causes the id of 3 to sort to the TOP of the list. This statement does the same thing:

select * from test_order
order by id = 3 DESC, email

I know there is a good, rational reason for this, and I'm hoping someone will explain it to me? From what I can see, true is sorting AFTER false in Postgres? In general, is it better/preferred just to use "case" statements to get the results I'm expecting?

Or maybe someone could point me to the relevant docs that explains order by behavior in more detail? I read this http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-select.html#SQL-ORDERBY and it didn't make things any clearer.

I'm quite interested in the power of "expressioned sort by's" and so I appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Thanks!

Steve

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate