Adrian Klaver wrote:
On Friday 03 April 2009 6:51:05 am Adrian Klaver wrote:
On Thursday 02 April 2009 6:16:44 pm Adrian Klaver wrote:
Now I remember. Its something that trips me up, the RECORD in RETURN
setof RECORD is not the same thing as the RECORD in DECLARE RECORD. See
below for a better explanation-
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/plpgsql-declarations.html#
PL PGSQL-DECLARATION-RECORDS Note that RECORD is not a true data type,
only a placeholder. One should also realize that when a PL/pgSQL function
is declared to return type record, this is not quite the same concept as
a record variable, even though such a function might use a record
variable to hold its result. In both cases the actual row structure is
unknown when the function is written, but for a function returning record
the actual structure is determined when the calling query is parsed,
whereas a record variable can change its row structure on-the-fly.

--
Adrian Klaver
akla...@comcast.net

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function(integer) RETURNS record
    AS $Body$
DECLARE croid integer;
DECLARE R RECORD;
BEGIN
        SELECT INTO croid 2;
        SELECT INTO R  croid,$1;
RETURN R;
END;

$Body$
    LANGUAGE plpgsql;

--
Adrian Klaver
akla...@comcast.net

Forgot to show how to call it.

test=# SELECT * from test_function(1) as test(c1 int,c2 int);
 c1 | c2
----+----
  2 |  1
(1 row)

Ah!, I see what you mean about the definition of 'RECORD'.
(The lights come on...)

And here I thought it would all be so simple.....

You show a valid, and most informative solution.
This should get things working for me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Peter