Hello Emmet, Thanks! Thank you Jacob and Jonathan for your personal answers by email as well! :-)
I understand quite well now that my program is buggy and probably not catching the string terminating 0 (NUL) byte in the cmpl command. Now I have my next problem: To figure out what the registers are doing I'm giving gdb the debugger another go and I'm having trouble with that too: I re-assembled my programm with: as --gstabs heynow.s -o heynow.o Then I re-linked it and started gdb like this: gdb heynow.exe (I call my executables .exe) Now I can run heynow.exe in gdb, but I can't stop it. When I type "run", it just runs through and quits normally. According to the book you can set break points like this: <gdb> break 1 This should set a break point a line 1, which it does. I did this, but when I type "run" after that, it just runs right through again. It simply does NOT consider any breakpoint I set, no matter where! What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help! Greetings, Mark PS: For others reading the book, perhaps it would be better to reply to the list instead of to the original poster of a message so the answers are archived. - Or is that too much mail-flood for all the people currently on the list? -- GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS. Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freemail _______________________________________________ Pgubook-readers mailing list [email protected] http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pgubook-readers
