Le 06/09/2013 12:34, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

On Sep 6, 2013, at 9:33 AM, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goub...@cea.fr> wrote:

Le 05/09/2013 22:04, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

Who says that? We always said that we will back-port all imported fixes to 2.0.
We will not back-port *everything*, especially
not improvements that are not fixes, because then there would be no difference
between Pharo3 and Pharo2 (and these
tend to introduce new problems, making it very hard to stabilize).

Are you afraid that by improving Pharo2 on a production-level, you would remove
incentives to move to pharo3?

No just that we do not want to stop 3.0. Because changing 20 will introduce bug
we are 100% convinced about that.
The system is still not in a situation where changes are simple and with
limited impact.

As you said, 2.0 has bugs. Look, at one point, we even had a 2.5 in the works
(who did it, already? Sean? Sven?).

no, we don't
bah, we have 2S, which would be the "2.5" if you want. Also Sean made something
to install some new issues from 3 in the older version... but that's not a new version,
is just that Sean wanted to have some things immediately :)

This looks like a very nice 2.0.

So my suggestion would be more like this: 2.0 stable, 3.0 beta (freeze), and
4.0 alpha (experimental), and maybe different teams for handling each of those
(and releases on a six months basis?).

that's not possible because that implies manpower that we do not have, and
thats, so far, a reality that will not change in the near future.
So, what we have is: stable branch (now 2.0), unstable branch (now 3.0), and
when we release pharo3, that will become stable and the next branch will be
unstable, while 2.0 will fade out.

Then I would look in current situation maybe something like 2, 2S and 3; shifting to 2S, 3 (and maybe 4) for 3 freeze; later 3, 3S, 4.

the effort of maintaining multiple versions is exponential, not linear.

Yes, but you're shifting part of the work to others. And their support of multiple versions is exponential.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list