Hi,

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Goubier Thierry <thierry.goub...@cea.fr>wrote:

> Hi Tudor,
>
> I found your visualisation very interesting, and wondered about one thing
> linked to your blog post and if I got it right.
>
> The visualisation you're showing is able to show, at the single class
> level, if a class is more or less regular (i.e. tidy == well designed?) but
> you show that it will loose very shortly it's tidy shape if the classes it
> joins to are added to the visualisation. And I wondered if this was a
> choice on the graph layout algorithm you've choosen, i.e. that maintaining
> the tidiness of the class could be done with a different layout algorithm?
> Maybe one which has a measure of tidiness of the class at the local level,
> and weight it against the position and attraction of its links to the other
> components in the application?

My argumentation is that if we look at a class isolated it will have a
certain shape, and because we are exposed to this view (the IDE is always
showing me only that) all the time we will optimize it such that the shape
is tidy. But if we look at the class in the context of its interactions the
shape will be less recognizable. The chosen layout is a very simple one,
and the goal is not to say whether the structure is good or bad. This is
neither good nor bad. It simply argues how steering the architecture has to
take these forces into account.

In the mean time, I'm slowly discovering we have amazing software
> architecture visualisation tools :)

They really are amazing :). If you want to get more information about it,
you can join the Moose mailing list:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/about/contact

Would really like to setup a project on that if I get the chance.

What do you mean? What kind of a project?

Cheers,
Doru

Regards,

--