Sidenote about this.

I don't know about this particular problem you faced with Nautilus.
But the issue is "unfixable", IMHO, because everything runs in the
same process.

So there is no way to stop the current active process if it is REALLY
stuck (100% CPU, 1 CORE). If it gets into an infinite unbreakable
loop, or indefinitely blocking on I/O, then the entire VM gets
unresponsive.

For that reason I think that nothing should run in the UI Thread
(which in Pharo is the main thread), except for event handling and
rendering. Or... the VM should notice abnormal processes eating a lot
of resources and warn the user.

That's one nice feature of Smalltalk/X, every windows runs its own
thread, with its own event queue, etc. You can kill it safely, without
trowing away the whole image.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo