Am 26.02.2014 um 21:21 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck <marianop...@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name> wrote:
>
> Am 26.02.2014 um 14:38 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck <marianop...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Just be careful 2:  "I switched one of my servers to dump to stack with fuel
>> to disk if an exception occurs. "
>> Once it happened to me the stack I was taking for serializing an error was
>> too big. Too big because it even reached the UI. The UI has lots of sensible
>> objects that change quite frequently. So my graph to serialize was big and
>> the graph changed quite frequently. Result: Fuel throwing error because the
>> graph to serialize changed while being serialized. Oh...exception?  Fuel out
>> exception!  exception. Oh exception? ...
>>
> Good point, thanks!
>
>> So yeah..the fact that Fuel was throwing an error causes a loop so be
>> careful of that as well.
>>
> If the serialization fails I just consider it an unrecoverable error and
> proceed. I will add a logging message for that case so I can at least so when
> something does not working while fueling out the stack.
>

> Forgot... "just be careful 3": it may happen that you cannot correctly
> materialize (not serialization) the graph: a method has changed, a class is
> missing..whatever... So what I did in the fuel out of failure tests is to add
> to the serializer header all the info (as plain strings) that we normally
> have in the PharoDebug.log. This "header" will always be able to be
> materialized.... this way, I don't have the risk of not being able to
> materialize and hence loose info, and yet I don't need PharoDebug.log as
> well. If you don't do what I did, then you likely need also pharoDebug.log
> just in case...

That is unlikely to happen. My workflow is that every deployed image goes
through the CI server. If a problem arises I download that same image from the
CI server and load the stacks back into this. Everything is else is IMHO asking
for trouble because contexts won’t map properly.

> I recommend everyone interested in this topic to take a look to:
> #serializeTestFailureContext:toFileNamed:

That is what I am using because it does what I want to happen. It is only the
selector that doesn’t fit that well :)

thanks a lot for this information Mariano. This is highly appreciated to get
infos from someone that knows the stuff.

Norbert