On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 8:18 PM, S Krish
<krishnamachari.sudha...@gmail.com>wrote:

>    1.
>
>    Since then, Smalltalk (SqueakNOS <http://squeaknos.blogspot.com/>),
>    Forth (colorForth <http://www.colorforth.com/cf.htm>), and Lisp
> (Genera<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera_(operating_system)>)
>    have all flirted with becoming operating systems, and
> Oberon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(programming_language)>
>     was
> designed<http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/ProjectOberon/PO.System.pdf>
>     to be one <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system)> from
>    the start. But none achieved economic success, for the simple reason that
>    none of the projects involved attempted to provide value to people. They
>    solved technical problems to validate that their concepts can work in the
>    real world, but did not pursue the delivery of better solutions to
>    real-world problems than would otherwise be
> possible.↩<http://davidad.github.io/blog/2014/03/12/the-operating-system-is-out-of-date/#fnref:1>
>
> Except that his statement is complete bollocks.  Smalltalk /did/ deliver
better solutions to real-world problems.   It delivered the modern desktop.
 But since it was a research vehicle it didn't deliver this directly.  But
if Smalltalk hadn't have been invented then the modern desktop would have
turned up much later.

Pharo hopefully corrects the course..

--
best,