Let me put forward my personal opinion for what is worth.

I am new to Smalltalk and I am new to Pharo , slowly learning a tiny bit
every single day . I am no pro developer. Just a guy that uses Pharo as a
way to exercise my brain cells. It has become by far my favorite tool.

For me Pharo is Smalltalk, the reason being that I see Smalltalk as I see
Lisp. A programming language to create a programming languages. On the
other hand Smalltalk is also a hackable software environment. The way I see
it nothing stops Smalltalk from evolving to something like Pharo, as a
matter of fact thats the whole goal of Smalltalk in the first place, to
evolve , change, improve , imposing no limitation to the users. This is why
we have a live environment, this is why OOP is a essential part , this is
why ease of use is so central in Smalltalk.

The fact that Pharo brakes off from traditional concepts and ideas of
Smalltalk is irrelevant. Pharo is not the first to do this. I am coming
from cpython, when cpython 3 appeared it had broken compatibility in many
ways with python 2 , it was essentially a new python, yet it was still
python. I think ruby has gone a similar phase too.

As a matter of fact burning down bridges is part of the process of
improvement. Its not invention, its evolution.

On the other hand its semantics, just words, and words are useless if you
dont put detailed meanings. Detailed meanings are paragraphs, chapters and
in some cases entire books. Because the world we live in is far from
simple.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM, p...@highoctane.be <p...@highoctane.be>wrote:

> Pharo := Smalltalk ++
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Jimmie Houchin <jlhouc...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 04/28/2014 11:12 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>>
>>> … more a Smalltalk one using Pharo:
>>>
>>> MountainWest RubyConf 2014
>>>
>>> Noel Rappin: "But Really, You Should Learn Smalltalk”
>>>
>>> Smalltalk has mystique. We talk about it more than we use it. It seems
>>> like it should be so similar to Ruby. It has similar Object-Oriented
>>> structures, it even has blocks. But everything is so slightly different,
>>> from the programming environment, to the 1-based arrays, to the simple
>>> syntax. Using Smalltalk will make you look at familiar constructs with new