Ok then, a simple profile should do it.

I'll have a look.

I did profile loading Roassal2 with AltBrowser yesterday evening and updates on the browser take 15% of the execution time... Will optimize that.

Thierry

Le 27/06/2014 11:58, p...@highoctane.be a écrit :
Same story here.

Phil

Le 27 juin 2014 10:31, "Johan Brichau" <jo...@inceptive.be
<mailto:jo...@inceptive.be>> a écrit :

 > I reported it as bug 13422 [1].
 >
 > For now, I was only able to do a comparison before/after which
instances are being kept around.

<mailto:nicolaih...@web.de>> wrote:

<mailto:thierry.goub...@cea.fr>>:

 > >> Le 26/06/2014 15:25, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
 > >>

 > >> On 26 Jun 2014, at 15:17, Johan Brichau <jo...@inceptive.be
<mailto:jo...@inceptive.be>> wrote:

 > >> I will do that, but the main problem is not the loading speed.
 > >> The real problem is that the image blows up (i.e. crashes) when a
browser is open because it runs out of memory.

 > >> But yes, I will make a ticket and get some more profiling with
that so we can fix it.
 > >> Right now, I have to tell my co-workers to close all browsers when
they do a full code load interactively... it works but it's a bit
ridiculous ;-)

 > >> I disagree a bit ;-)
 > >>
 > >> Like Thierry said before: we all expect open browsers to react to
anything that happens, so when you load a very large amount of code,
lots of things change and I can imagine the internal notifications
(announcements) overloading the browsers who are struggling to keep up.

 > >> This means something can be optimized in the browser... Browsers
have a very limited view on the underlying code, more or less a subset
of a class methods and their relation in higher stuff, such as the
package, which means loading a large body of code has little effect on
the Browser (unless it's a live CodeCity instance :)).

 > >> Now, there is probably something wrong, and things can probably be
tuned, but I think this will always be slower.

 > >> Not by much.
 > >>

 > >> Like Stéphane said, loading a big batch of code should happen in a
special way, disabling updates and firing a full reset at the end - or
something along those lines.

 > >> I disagree with you there.
 > >>
 > >> Disabling updates causes problems in many different places
(RPackage, for one) and correct implementation of the Browser updates
should not slow it down significantly. And it allow us, in the future,
to have a responsive GUI while loading code.

 > >> I know because after optimising it, it went from very visible to
being almost invisible on the profile (far below the time spent #pragma
updating).

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list