By video controls I meant /first, previous, next, last /buttons - but that's
not a good idea now I think about it. I still think  "page" numbers might be
better than dots. But, as you say, I managed to use the dots so they can't
be that bad, Still, I think the dots would look more obviously like
navigation controls if they were embedded in a small sunken or raised panel.
But perhaps as you suggest with more contrast in colour even that might not
be necessary.

I'm a bit more concerned about how easy it is to end up with lots of panes
that are identical. For example, in the screenshots of smallInteger(42) in
this thread. Every pane reads the same. Isn't that confusing? No doubt I'll
get used to it, though.

I don't like the idea of flashing the controls by the way - that seems very
artificial to me.