My personal opinion on Github and Pharo is that it already works great with
Pharo. The workflow with filetree is exactly the same as other languages
that gives the added advantage that you can use all the powerful tools you
use with other languages for commiting to git and github. I have not
experienced any kind of issue of problem using github with Pharo nor my
experience has been any worse than other languages.

With the use of Baseline you dont even need git installed in your system to
install any Pharo project that use git  which is a feature I have not seen
in other languages.

It should be also relative simple to extend ConfigurationBrowser to support
github projects via baseline with no need to commit configurations to
smalltalkhub.

Pharo is already very active in github, many people have ported their
projects there including me.

Maybe StHub should support also being a portal to github , or uses github
as its backend though I have no clue how much work that would involve.
Personally I have completely abandoned smaltlalkhub for github because my
experience was really bad and I was already very familiar with github.