Hi All,

> On Dec 14, 2015, at 7:23 AM, Richard Sargent
> <richard.sarg...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
> EuanM wrote
>> Hi Todd, it's taken me til now to put my thoughts into words on this
>> issue.
>>
>> I think we should make it work first.  This will allow us to gain more
>> insight into the issues, and create documentation about the process
>> that we, as a community, understand.
>>
>> If ICU is the right way to go, we can *then* "make it right".
>
> One way to cross the Grand Canyon is to climb down the wall, assemble the
> materials to build a bridge, build the bridge, cross it, then clamber up the
> wall. One would learn a lot about climbing and bridge building, worthwhile
> if the goal is to learn about those subjects.
>
> Alternatively, you could use the highway bridge that was built long ago and
> just cross to the other side. This is definitely my inclination.

Using ICU is a disaster at least for the VM.  It means we cannot simulate an
important part of the system without being able to call ICU from within the
simulator.  It means bugs in Unicode can potentially cause hard crashes in c++
code, destroying the perfectly safe VM simulation environment /and/ the
perfectly safe Smalltalk string library.  Goodbye debugger hello gdb.

It means having a dependency on a large c++ library for a core part of the
system, with all that entails about more complex builds, portability, etc.

It means opacity in a core part of the system.

This move will be a terrible mistake.