Google has several projects that they put serious effort and resources, the
rest is just either abandonware or with very low activity. Google code was
on such example. Half baked, limited, ugly and unchanged for years. I never
understood why anyone would choose to host his project on google code.

Sourceforge on the other hand was a really great site to host your project,
actively developed etc

I think the reason why they lost the #1 place is that they were a bit messy
design wise and github is much simpler to use. Also most people migrated to
git so they did not care about svn support and many of the features that
Sourceforge offers. Suicide is to kill yourself and Sourceforge is far from
dead, as a matter of fact is still a very popular destination for freeware
and open source.

And to return back to the original topic of the thread lets say you nuke
Github from orbit right now. What you going to lose.

issues / bug reports ? big deal people will report those bugs again in your
future web host
wiki ? Seriously why use Github wiki, its very limited and most github
projects dont or do so in a very limited extend
website ? Again github hosted website tend to be super simple
comments on commits or discussions around design decisions ? sure that is
something really valuable but still can live without

Git is local hosted version control system. As long you have an updated
repo which will be the case anyway if you are an active developer you lost
nothing that would really hinder the progress of your project. The repo is
already in your hard drive.  And there are solutions out there to backup
Github data , since as I already said the Github API gives you access to
all its data and much more.