On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 05:07:47PM +0800, Pierce Ng wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 08:56:43AM +0000, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> > Fuel I assume enters here the equation as a data exchange format , the
> > problem I have with fuel is that its not backward compatible which for me

Fuel works well in this case. Version compatibility is not an issue, because
when you fork an image/VM the two cooperating images are essentially identical.

> Once you have a set of OS processes running Pharo how they talk to each other
> is up to you no? E.g. the Pharo instances could use ZeroMQ, XML-RPC, JSONRPC,
> msgpack, coordinate via Redis/SQLite/PostgreSQL, etc.

Any of those would work, but Fuel is a good way to enable all kinds of
objects to be copied from one image to another through a stream. In the
case of RemoteTask, all of the results of a remote computation can be put
into a single result object (an array or a dictionary or whatever), and
that result can be passed back to the parent image by reading the single
object. So - fork a copy of the image, have it do some work, and read the
result object from a stream. You know you are done when you have read
exactly one object.

Dave