well, I disagree :)

> On 17 Jan 2016, at 17:47, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:
>

>> On 17 Jan 2016, at 17:13, stepharo <steph...@free.fr
>> <mailto:steph...@free.fr>> wrote:

>>> But only when it is needed.
>>>
>>> The overall Nautilus interface is becoming way too busy and distracting.
>>
>> Where?
>> Because we removed features so I'm surprised and we wanted to remove more
>> but people use them.
>
> Let see (this is my personal opinion, not necessarily the most beginner
> friendly view):
>
> <Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 17.39.34.png>
>
> - I never use the history navigator, not the drop down, nor the arrows
> - The previous location of variables was better (small icon)
> - I never use the weird search/filter field with the pattern
> - I never use scoped browsing
> - I never use format as you read
> - I never want line numbers
> - I never want to know where the cursor is
> - I only want critics when I say so, not all the time

- I never use history navigator neither
- I like variables where they are now :)
- I use “weird” search/filter all the time
- I use very often scoped browsing (I do a lot of refactors)
- I do not use format as you read neither, but I like to have it there… can be
useful.
- line numbers I do not care, but that space will be useful for breakpoints/etc.
- I need to know where cursor is, or at least I feel myself more confident when
I know.
- I not only want critics *always*: I also want critics always for everybody: I
spotted many bugs I could made just for having them there… and in particular
newbies can find them useful :)

> Again, this is my POV. And I definitively still want to have these features
> around, I just don't want to *see* them all the time.

And these are mine… :P
That’s why we should not take *our* convenience as a model (we can, after all
modify a lot of that just with settings or ignoring them :P)

In my own feedback, Nautilus (and the IDE in general) has become a lot more
attractive to newcomers now, and the visual contamination (again, as far as
I’ve been told by newbies and students, etc.) is not that. Quite the contrary
they feel it as “reassuring” (because it resembles a bit more what they know
from other IDEs).

My idea is that newbies will welcome to see them all the time, and we (power
users) can disable what we do not want in settings (and we can have a
preference with our own… preferences :P.
Is the same I do about Dark Theme for example: I activate it always by default.
Or with the Growl notifications: I hate them in bottom-left corner, I would
prefer it in top-right… or bottom right… then I just change it :)

So +1 enhance configurability of the system, -100 to remove/hide features that
are important specially for newbies.

cheers,
Esteban